Sunday, March 6, 2011

Expanding my Toolbox

Recently, I purchased a few new tools for my workspace (and brought out a few stashed ones) that have made a huge difference in my work.

1. Steel bench block, 4"x4" and 1/2" thick, polished smooth. This is absolutely necessary for metal manipulation, such as hammering soft wire. I set this on top of a piece of foam on my work table, and hammer away. Being able to flatten wire and make decorative dents (IN THE WIRE) has been an enormous amount of fun. MY FAVORITE NEW TOOL!

2. Tronex Razor Flush taper cutters for soft metal wire. These were $65 after shipping, but when one cuts a lot of wire, one should have top-of-the-line cutters. They're extremely pointy, too, so they can get into small spaces easily.

3. Dremel-type rotary tool with sanding bits. These bits are excellent for smoothing burrs at wire ends. I had the tool stashed away for about a year and a half, and never found a use for it until now.

4. Coiling Gizmo. This makes lovely coiled wire beads and tight, uniform wire coils to use in various designs. A useful tool for funking things up!! (So to speak...hee hee.)

Stuff I still want:

-small digital scale
-tumbler for stones and metals
-a better hammer
-metallic foils, for making large polymer clay beads

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a jewel of wisdom